Part of me feels very strange mentioning the 'C' word. I feel like I haven't quite adjusted to the fact that it's almost Christmas, even though everyone else is getting into the yuletide spirit. The shops are now selling Christmas decorations, restaurants are talking about their new festive menus and talk in the office is slowly starting to revolve around work parties and Secret Santa. There's no escaping the fact that Christmas is just around the corner.
One of my favourite parts of Christmas is Secret Santa, I love Secret Santa. Blogger, work, even school Secret Santa's - I've taken part in quite a few. I'm one of those people that enjoys shopping for others and finding gifts that really suit their personalities. I truly believe that anyone who buys chocolate for Secret Santa is just being lazy and if I see another Terry's Chocolate Orange make an appearance I will probably scream.
Here's my little guide to being a memorable Secret Santa:
- Shop around - look in markets, on eBay or Amazon for something a little bit different.
- Research the person you are shopping for and think of something that they will get use out of.
- If you're struggling for cash be creative - homemade is thoughtful.
- Have fun. Secret Santa is supposed to get people in the festive spirit, not make them into grumpy Scrooges.
- Spend more than the budget set - no-one likes a show off
- Blab about who you're shopping for, 9 times out of 10 someone will spill the beans
- However tempting, don't go for the bottle of wine on offer at your local store....the store that all the office visit on their lunch breaks. That's just lazy.
- Don't forget to buy a present - no-one likes to feel left out.
This year I'm taking part in the John Lewis 'Give with Love' campaign, which is a blogger Secret Santa. I'm looking forward to stalking someone else's blog and learning a bit more about them and choosing them a gift. Once we have exchanged gifts - cleverly done by the John Lewis elves to keep our identities secret, we all be doing a big reveal on our blogs. Keep your eyes peeled!
Have you taken part in a Secret Santa before?